Meeting dates (9.30 start)
- 14 January 2020
- 25 February 2020
- 13 August 2020
- 22 October 2020
- 8 December 2020
The Patient Information Committee outputs are quality assured by the RCOG Clinical Quality Assurance Committee (CQAC).
The Committee report directly to the Clinical Quality Board.
The Patient Information Committee produces high quality evidence-based patient information derived mainly (but not solely) from RCOG Green Top Guidelines and NICE guidance.
The Patient Information Committee is dedicated to producing and disseminating high quality information worthy of the RCOG gold standard expected of our clinical quality guidance products, and to ensuring that our patient information that sees women, as well as their families and friends well informed to make choices about the care they receive.
The Clinical Quality Assurance Group quality assures the information produced by the Committee.
The Clinical Quality Board oversees all PIC activity and provides strategic direction.
To produce high quality patient information, that meets the information standard, on areas where:
- new high quality clinical evidence has been published
- there are high rates of mortality, morbidity or disability
- improved standards of care would reduce rates of mortality, morbidity or disability
- there is uncertainty, as evidenced by a wide variation in clinical practice and service delivery
- there are implications across the primary-secondary care interface
The information produced is designed to:
- provide objective, up to date, relevant information for women about conditions, diseases, treatments, procedures
- empower women to make informed decisions about their health and healthcare
- reflect accurately the content of the source document (e.g. College document such as Green-top Guideline, Scientific Impact Paper, NICE).
- supplement source document with other essential information
- reflect the views collated through the peer review and consumer pilot processes
- support busy professionals by providing high quality evidence-based information to reinforce that given verbally, e.g. at consultations, pre- and post- procedures
The RCOG patient information is mostly derived from its clinical guidelines e.g. Green-top Guidelines, Scientific Impact Papers, consent series, but also from other approved national sources e.g. NICE, BASHH. On exceptional occasions, patient information on a subject without a source document may be developed. This would only be if it considered essential to have patient information on the subject and only after approval by Clinical Quality Assurance Group or Clinical Quality Board.
Please send all correspondence to the committee secretary.
Tel: +44 20 7772 6311
The members of the Patient Information Committee, which includes clinicians and consumers, are responsible for producing the patient information, with support from the Patient Information Committee Secretary (Business Coordinator, Education, Quality & Projects). The usual term of office of committee members is three years. The Patient Information Committee Secretary is a permanent member of the RCOG staff.
The Committee consists of:
- Chair, a Member /Fellow representatives, appointed by interview
- Vice Chair
- 3 RCOG Member /Fellow representatives
- 1 RCOG Trainee representative
- 1 Midwife representative
- 1 Nurse representative
- 2 RCOG Women’s Network representative
- RCOG – Director, Clinical Quality
- 2 RCOG Trainee representatives,
- Head of Quality Improvement,
- Assistant Editor,
- Patient and Public Involvement Manager
- Committee Secretary
The Committee is quorate if three clinicians and two representatives from either the Women’s network or nurse/midwife are in attendance.
The Committee meets quarterly. Final drafts are presented to the Clinical Quality Assurance Group for quality assurance as and when they are ready for publication. In cases where there is a related Green-top Guideline being developed or updated the Business Coordinator works with the Guidance Editorial Manager to ensure both documents are published simultaneously.